Food makes traditions, and traditions make family ties. These days my mom came from Puerto Rico to visit me. I was very excited planning which one of my new recipes I’ll prepare for her, and the first thing she asked me was why isn’t the banana bread recipe on my blog yet. Well, looks like this was the perfect time to share it. This recipe is very special to us. It was the first thing I baked to my husband once we got married, and thanks to this recipe I started my journey of baking goods.
I think every family has a unique recipe that everyone loves, the kind that no matter the festivity or the occasion it needs to be present. This is the case of our banana bread recipe. I know that everyone claims to have the best banana bread version, but I will encourage you to try this one! I am pretty sure that, once you try it for yourself, you’ll never forget me. So let’s enjoy this pinch of sugar!
1 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 or 2 teaspoon of coconut oil for preparing the pan
¾ cup of brown sugar
3 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed with a fork (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup toasted walnut or pecans
½ cup of dry dates
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together in a liquid measuring cup with a spout; set aside. Lightly brush a 9-by 5- by-3-inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with an electric hand-held mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffyGradually pour the egg mixture into the butter while mixing until incorporated. Add the bananas, and remove the bowl from the mixer.
- With a rubber spatula, mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the nuts, dates and then transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Turn the bread out of the pan and let cool completely on the rack. Then brew coffee and enjoy this pinch of sugar!