Strawberry season is here! Well, I should say strawberry madness! This marks the beginning of summer and markets are full of them. The best part is that you can buy dozens of them for a decent price. It’s the perfect time for classic desserts like Strawberry-Rhubarb pies and Strawberry Shorthcake, and also this delicious cake.
Nothing beats fresh local berries! Baking with them, even better. So, always try to make desserts with the freshest of fruits. I love that this cake is so easy to make and it requires just a few ingredients that almost everyone has in their pantry. I had the batter done and in the pan in about ten minutes. Is a great cake! I have made some improvements from the original recipe and the results were delish. So let bake this pinch of sugar!
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon of almond extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of cake
Hint: I like to sprinkle about 1 tablepoon of sugar over the sliced strawberries while I make the batter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10-inch springform or round 10” pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, almond and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Gradually mix in flour mixture.
- Mash about 1/2 cup the strawberries and stir into the batter with a spatula.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan, and arrange the rest of the strawberry slices on top of batter.
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar over berries.
- Bake cake 10 minutes at 350°F, then reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50 minutes. Let cool in pan, and then enjoy this pinch of suggar!!
- Store cake at room temperature, for up to two days.