I come from a place where all year round is summer. In the Caribbean we don’t have the opportunity to see the seasons change. It was when I got married and moved to the state of Indiana that I finally had the chance to know and love the seasons. Christmas may be the most wonderful time of the year like the song says, but Autumn really captivated my heart. Nothing is more magical than to see the leafs change! All the reds, oranges and yellows of Autumn show up, and harvest time comes. Is the time for pumpkins, squash, cranberries, sweet potatoes, and in the blink of an eye your are surrounded by pumpkin spice lattes, cookies, sweet breads, and warm soups. So I wanted to share with you how Fall Season enchanted me with of one its superstars, the pumpkin roll. A moist layer cake full of spices like ginger, clove and cinnamon filled with a rich cream cheese filling. You can’t go wrong with this decadent treat! It’s the perfect dessert for thanksgiving, or anytime really. So let try this pinch of sugar!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- optional: powdered sugar (to sprinkle on at the end)
Cream Cheese Filling :
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt in medium bowl until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and granulated sugar for a minute until thick. Add in the maple extract and pumpkin puree, whisk until just combined. (You can use your electrical mixer on high speed for this step).
- Fold in the flour mixture slowly with a rubber spatula, and stir together just until combined. Do not over mix
- Line a 15 x 10-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra 1-inch of parchment up on both sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake. Note: Make sure you’re using a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan. The amount of batter is made precisely for it. Also, you can use butter or coconut oil to grease the pan and the parchment paper.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when touched.
- Carefully lift the parchment paper with the cake out onto a flat heat-safe surface. Then slowly, use your hands to roll the cake . Note: Roll the cake while it’s still hot. Also, you can place the cake on aluminum foil and roll it along with the parchment paper. The aluminum foil will help you to tighten the roll.
- Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack, and cool until it reaches room temperature.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese filling by whisking together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract with your electrical mixer until smooth.
- Once the cake has reached room temperature, transfer the cake roll to a flat surface and carefully roll out the cake until it is flat again. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over cake leaving one inch border on all sides.
- Carefully re-roll the cake, gently peeling away the parchment paper as you roll until you can completely remove and discard it. Cut the extra inch of cake left without filling, then tightly wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Remove and unwrap the pumpkin roll and transfer it to your serving dish. Lightly dust the pumpkin roll on all sides with powdered sugar. Then slice, serve and enjoy this decadent treat!!!
Recipe addapted from Gimmes Some Oven